Butler County Courthouse

Butler County CourthouseThe Butler County Courthouse was built in 1885 at a cost of $305,000. The four-story building features Second Empire architecture and is made from granite, marble and plate glass.

Located at 315 High St. in the county seat of Hamilton, the courthouse remains in use today and houses the county clerk of court and probate court, as well as the offices of the county treasurer, recorder of deeds, county commissioners and county auditor.

Butler County is named after Revolutionary War Gen. Richard Butler, who served in the Continental Army and saw action in the Battle of Saratoga and the Battle of Monmouth.

The Butler County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)