Coshocton County Courthouse

Coshocton County CourthouseThe Coshocton County Courthouse was designed by the architectural firm Carpenter and Williams of Meadville, Pa., at a cost of $100,000. The courthouse is built of brick with carved stone accents on the window openings and was constructed between 1873 and 1875. 

The previous courthouse was built in 1824 with a cost of $1,984 and a belfry was added in 1834.  The bell from this belfry is still featured in the 1875 courthouse.  There have been few changes over the years, with the exception of a major restoration in 1954 which included a modernization of the interior.

Located at 318 Main Street in the county seat of Coshocton, the courthouse is still in use today and houses the Coshocton County Court of Common Pleas. Coshocton County is named after the Delaware Indian village of Goschachgunk, which means “Black Bear Town”. 

The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)