Darke County Courthouse

Darke County CourthouseThe Darke County Courthouse was designed by architect Edwin May and built in 1874.  Located at 504 South Broadway in the county seat of Greenville, the Darke County Courthouse is still used today and houses the Darke County Court of Common Pleas and its domestic relations division as well as the Greenville Municipal Court.

The courthouse features Second Empire and Renaissance architecture and is built predominantly of stone. In 1973, the building’s dome was removed after part of the gutter fell from the clock tower. Many citizens subsequently wanted to raze the building but a group of citizens created the Project Dome Committee of the County Bicentennial Committee to raise money to repair the clock tower.  It took eight years to raise the necessary funds and on July 2, 1983, a helicopter hoisted a replica dome into place on top of the new columns.

Darke County was named after Revolutionary War Gen. William Darke. The courthouse was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)