Harrison County Courthouse

Harrison County CourthouseThe Harrison County Courthouse was designed by architects Joseph W. Yost and Frank Packard and built in 1895 at a cost of $86,985. Located at 100 West Market St. in the county seat of Cadiz, the building is still in use and today and houses the Harrison County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions, as well as the Harrison County Municipal Court.

The courthouse is built of Berea Sandstone and features a 112-foot clock and bell tower.

Harrison County was named after Gen. William Henry Harrison who spent most of his military career in the county after being commissioned into the U.S. Army and sent to the Northwest Territory. He was later elected the ninth president of the United States in 1841 and served from March 4 to April 4 before dying in office. Harrison also was the first U.S. president to be elected from Ohio. 

The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)