Marion County Courthouse

The Marion County Courthouse was designed by architect David W. Gibbs and built in 1884. Located at 100 North Main St. in the county seat of Marion, the building is still in use and today houses the Marion County Court of Common Pleas and its probate division.

The courthouse is built of Amherst Sandstone and is similar to the Fayette County Courthouse in Washington Court House. The courthouse is topped by a statue of Lady Justice. In the late 1970s, the courthouse was renovated at a cost of $950,000, and included the addition of a law library and a modernization of the courtroom interiors.

Marion County is named after Gen. Francis Marion of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. Marion was known as the “swamp fox” because of his guerilla tactics and ingenuity in military strategy. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.