Muskingum County Courthouse

The Muskingum County Courthouse was designed by architect H.E. Meyer and constructed on the site of the previous courthouse on Main and Fourth streets, and was dedicated on May 1, 1877.  The building, located at 401 Main St. in the county seat of Zanesville, is still in use today. 

The courthouse is constructed of limestone, and features ornamental eclectic style architecture. The building was completed in two and a half years with the limestone used for construction being hauled from 10 miles away by horse and wagon. Fifty stone masons also were employed to cut and shape the limestone. 

Today, the courthouse is home to the Muskingum County Court of Common Pleas and its probate court. 

Muskingum County is named for and American Indian word meaning “Moose-eye River.”  The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.