Ottawa County Courthouse

The Ottawa County Courthouse was designed by architectural firm Wing and Mahurin and built in 1901 for $65,000. Located at 315 Madison St. in the county seat of Port Clinton, the building is still in use and today houses the Ottawa County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse features Richardsonian Romanesque style architecture and is built of North Amherst Sandstone and pink Tennessee Marble. The building features a square clock tower in the center of the building which rises 132 feet. The top of the tower contains a belfry for the clock chimes.  Inside, a wall outside the main courtroom features four painted scenes depicting quarrying, farming, fishing and fruit growing, which reflect the industries and the immigrants of Ottawa County in the early 1900s. Slavic immigrants worked the quarries, Danish immigrants were farmers, French immigrants were fishermen, and German immigrants were fruit growers.

Ottawa County is named after the Ottawa Indian Tribe.