Preble County Courthouse

Preble County CourthouseThe Preble County Courthouse was designed by architect Harvey H. Hiestand and built in 1918. Located at 101 East Main St. in the county seat of Eaton, the building is still in use and today houses the Preble County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

Hiestand, an Eaton native, designed the courthouse to have early central vacuuming and air conditioning and left outlets for hose attachments throughout the building. The courthouse exterior features Beaux-Arts style architecture and is made of Pennsylvania Bedrock. The interior stairway is made from golden-grained pink marble of Pennsylvania.

Preble County is named after Edward Preble, an American naval officer who fought in the Revolutionary War and later commanded a squadron to the Mediterranean where he took the lead in the Tripolitan War.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)