Trumbull County Courthouse

Trumbull County CourthouseThe Trumbull County Courthouse was designed by the architectural firm LaBelle and French of Marion and built in 1897 for approximately $140,000. The building, located at 161 High St. in the county seat of Warren, is still in use and today houses the Trumbull County Court of Common Pleas and its probate division.

The courthouse features Richardsonian Romanesque style architecture and is made of sandstone, earning it the nickname “The Stone Quarry” and “The Rock Palace.”  The courthouse features a round tower that rises from the center of the structure into a columned cupola. On top of each of the courthouse’s four gables lies a statue of Lady Justice.  Each of these copper statues stands 12 feet high and weighs 700 pounds.  The interior stairways are made of marble wainscoting, pink Tennessee marble and oak, and feature wrought iron railings. 

Trumbull County is named after Jonathan Trumbull Jr. who released Connecticut's last jurisdictional claim to the Western Reserve.  Trumbull served on the first, second and third Congresses in the U.S. House of Representatives and was governor of Connecticut for 11 consecutive terms until his death.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)