Champaign County Courthouse

Champaign County CourthouseThe Champaign County Courthouse was built in 1956 and dedicated on June 8, 1957. It is the fourth courthouse to be built after a fire destroyed the previous structure in the 1940s. It took ten years for voters to pass a bond to provide the funds to construct the new courthouse.

The building was designed by architect Phillip T. Partridge and is made of brick and stone. Located at 200 North Main St. in the county seat of Urbana, the courthouse is still in use today and houses the county clerk of court, Champaign County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions, and the county sheriff’s department.

Champaign County received its name from the French word for “plain” because of its level land.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)