Clark County Courthouse

The Clark County Courthouse was constructed from 1918 to 1924 after the previous courthouse, built in 1881, was damaged by fire. The courthouse is built on the foundation of the previous courthouse, but features a dome rather than the clock tower of its predecessor.

The stone courthouse was designed by architect William K. Schilling in Second Empire style architecture and features four large columns at the entrance.  Located on 101 North Limestone St. in the county seat of Springfield, the courthouse remains in use today and houses the count clerk of courts and the Clark County Court of Common Pleas.

Clark County is named after Gen. George Rogers Clark who was a preeminent military commander during the Revolutionary War, and who also defeated the Shawnee Indian tribe at their village of Pekowee near present day Springfield in August 1780.