Delaware County Courthouse

Delaware County CourthouseThe Delaware County Courthouse was designed by architect Robert N. Jones and completed in 1869. Located at 91 North Sandusky St. in the county seat of Delaware, the courthouse remains in use and today houses the Delaware County Court of Common Pleas and its domestic relations court.

The two-story building features Italianate architecture and is built of brick. The windows feature ornate hood moldings.  The courthouse is topped by an elaborate bracketed cornice and a statue of Lady Justice. The courthouse underwent renovations in 1996 that included restoring 102 window frames and two sets of entrance doors. Workers were required to strip these of their 15 layers of green and mustard colored paint.

Delaware County is named for the Delaware Indian tribe. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)