Greene County Courthouse

Greene County CourthouseThe Greene County Courthouse was designed by architect Samuel Hannaford and built in 1902. Located at 45 North Detroit St. in the county seat of Xenia, the building is still in use and today houses the Greene County Court of Common Pleas and its probate court.

The courthouse features Richardsonian Romanesque style architecture and is made of solid Bedford stone. Above the main courtroom is a large, 18-foot-by-10-foot stained glass window titled “Justice is Blind.” The structure survived a tornado in 1974 with very little damage; however, the town of Xenia was heavily damaged and 34 people were killed.

Greene County is named after Revolutionary War Gen. Nathaniel Greene, considered to be George Washington’s most talented officer. Greene presided over the court that condemned Major John Andre to death in 1781.  There are three counties in Ohio named for the captures of the spy John Andre.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)