Morrow County Courthouse

Morrow County CourthouseThe Morrow County Courthouse was designed by architect David Auld and built in 1854. Located at 48 East High St. in the county seat of Mount Gilead, the building is still in use and today houses the Morrow County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions, and the Mount Gilead Municipal Court.

The courthouse is constructed of brick and stone and features a tower with a bell and four-faced clock. Additions were made to the courthouse in 1896, and in the 1930s a new courtroom was added for the Court of Common Pleas. In 1992, the courthouse garnered national media attention when Court TV broadcasted from the courthouse while covering a case in which six people were killed and four were wounded when an Amish buggy was struck by a passenger vehicle.

Morrow County is named after Jeremiah Morrow, who served as governor of Ohio from 1822 to 1826. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)