Paulding County Courthouse

Paulding County CourthouseThe Paulding County Courthouse was designed by architect Edward O. Fallis and built in 1888. Located at 115 North William St. in the county seat of Paulding, the building is still in use and today houses the Paulding County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is built of brick and is built in a four-front style, meaning the building has four fronts. The tower of the courthouse is 163 feet tall and composed of a smaller dome resting atop a larger dome. Two early Paulding County judges were business acquaintances with Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone.  The judges helped Bell obtain a patent for his telephone and Bell thanked them by supplying the courthouse with a telephone system.

Paulding County is named after John Paulding, one of the three soldiers who captured the British spy John Andre, who was notorious for negotiating the betrayal of the West Point Fort with Revolutionary War Gen. Benedict Arnold.  The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)