Ross County Courthouse

Ross County CourthouseThe Ross County Courthouse was designed by architect Edward Collins & Charles Autenrieth and built in 1858. Located at 2 North Paint St. in the county seat of Chillicothe, the building is still in use and today houses the Ross County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse, which is constructed of stone, has a clock tower and four large columns with Corinthian capitals supporting a front portico. At the courthouse entrance a mosaic of the Great Seal of Ohio adorns the floor.

Chillicothe served as the state’s first capital from 1803 to 1816 when Columbus was deemed a more appropriate capital city because of its central location.

Ross County is named after James Ross of Allegheny County, Pa., a close friend of Arthur St. Clair, who was the first governor of the Northwest Territory. James Ross also served as a U.S. senator from Pennsylvania from 1794 to 1803.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)