Shelby County Courthouse

Shelby County CourthouseThe Shelby County Courthouse designed by Columbus architect George H. Maetzel and built in 1883. Located at 100 Court St. in the county seat of Sidney, the building is still in use and today houses the Shelby County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions. The cost of the construction was nearly $200,000 and the materials used included limestone, sandstone and marble.

The building features French Second Empire style architecture and contains sandstone from both the Berea and Piqua quarries. The courthouse has a mansard roof with a 170-foot tower made of iron and stone that features four clocks.

Shelby County is named after Isaac Shelby, who was the first governor of Kentucky and fought under Gen. William Henry Harrison at the Battle of Thames in the War of 1812.  The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)